History – As a company, ADT has been in business for over one hundred and thirty years. That’s longer than several states have been part of this country. The company started out as American District Telegraph and was formed through the affiliation of 57 district telegraph companies. By the late 1930’s, ADT was already recognized as the leader in the field of emergency call services (burglar, holdup and fire alarms).
The 1940’s brought about automation in the field of fire alarms, and by the 1970’s the first automated Central Station was operational. This Central Station would eventually develop into today’s Customer Monitoring Centers. ADT recently came out with the touch screen control pad, 24 hour mobile security for your car, and a 24 hour medical monitoring for senior citizens and disabled people.
- Over seventy years of experience monitoring home security systems.
- Over five million customers.
- Unrestricted 24x7x365 monitoring abilities. ADT owns five customer monitoring centers (a sixth one can be created at the company headquarters in an emergency) throughout the country. If one monitoring center becomes disabled, the customers in that area will be redistributed amongst the remaining customer monitoring centers.
- Nearly every safety / security concern can be protected. The company is able to offer many high-tech security component add-ons such as cellular back-up systems, smoke / heat / carbon monoxide detectors, glass break detectors and even video surveillance systems with digital recorders. ADT is able to go beyond simple home security and offer products from a GPS device for your car (instant help at the touch of a button and the ability to track your vehicle online from home), to a disabled / senior care medical emergency system (with remote control activated device and an extreme temperature monitoring ability). The latest security control panels use touch screen technology, and most security systems now come with two-way voice communications with an ADT monitoring expert. Most of the systems can be built wireless technology, so there’s no need to worry about the installers needing to run wiring throughout your house.
- High-tech and brand new equipment. ADT research & development centers stay a few steps ahead of the current security systems and expectations of the average customer.
- High levels of professionalism. ADT takes security seriously and wants to remain #1 in the industry.
- ADT is very expensive. The company has built a solid reputation in the security business and knows that having their company sign in the front yard will scare away almost any intruder. Don’t expect to find any deals if an ADT corporate representative gives you a security review. The sales representatives work on commission only, so be prepared for them to offer you more than what you actually need to protect your home or business. Monthly monitoring costs typically run between $30 and $70 a month, depending on all of the add-ons.
- Installation issues. Depending on where you live and what components you ordered, it may take several weeks to schedule an installation. People have reported the installers not being able to install everything on the initial visit (problems at times receiving all of the parts from the suppliers), and a second install may be required to complete the security system.
- Three-year contract for homeowners. Make sure you are aware of the agreement details and fees for leaving the contract early.
Overall, if you have the money and want the quality, go with ADT corporate.
NOTE – This website is not affiliated with or approved by ADT Security Services, Inc.
Below is an ADT commercial showing the dangers of not having a monitored fire alarm as part of a security system.